The Kite Runner

I was not able to make the May book club meeting due to my daughter's softball game. I had just finished "The Kite Runner" the day before and was anxious to discuss it. So, I decided that maybe some of you would be interested in continuing an online discussion of the book, hence this weblog, or "blog" dedicated to our book club and the stimulating discussions we have.

I have to admit I enjoyed "The Kite Runner" more than I thought I would. I did not know what to expect since it covers a culture and time period that I've never found very intriguing. However, I soon discovered that the setting really did not drive the story. Rather it is a beautiful picture of a lifelong relationship between two young men that transcends all boundaries of culture, race or time. The story very well could have been told in the antebellum deep south between a plantation owner's son and a slave growing up together. This fact brought home the reality that issues of racial prejudice and nationalism are irrelavent in the face of the universal human need for friendship and community. Amir and Hassan's relationship endures beyond the cultural prejudices and political upheavals surrounding them. Only on the leveled playing field of kite running tournaments are they able to truly forge their bond of friendship and connect in boyish play.

I was also amazed at the profound symbolism and sacrificial imagery infused throughout the story. Hassan is clearly a Christ figure as he cheerfully and resignedly makes sacrifices and absolves Amir over and over. At one point Amir blatently makes this connection as Hassan is being attacked in the alley. He makes the comparison to Hassan and the lambs that were slaughtered on the Holy Days, a direct allusion to the sacrificial passover lamb from Scripture which was the prototype for Christ as the "Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world." I was struck by this obvious comparison and marveled at the connection made in the context of the Muslim faith. Over and over within the context of the story Hassan portrays the sacrificial martyr pouring himself out freely and completely for the greater good. It is an interesting use of irony at the end that Amir has traded places with Hassan and sacrifices himself in his rescue of his friend's son and ultimately brings the boy to a better life in America. The triumphal ending where Amir is now the kite runner for Hassan's son brings full circle the story that begins with Hassan kite running for Amir.

I would love to hear any thoughts, reactions or critiques any of you had on the book.

DSchrader

Comments

Popular Posts